Crumbed NZ Greenshell™ Mussels
• 1 dozen fresh live mussels
• ¾ c flour
• 2 eggs, beaten
• ¼ c cream
• 1 c panko breadcrumbs
• Parsley, finely chopped (to serve)
• Lemon (to serve)
- Raw shuck the mussels using a blunt, flexible knife.
- Heat a deep fryer to 180C, alternatively, shallow fry the mussels by placing a fry pan onto a medium heat and fill with 2 cm of oil. Test the temperature of the oil by adding a piece of bread, it should turn golden brown after 1 minute.
- Pour the flour into a bowl, in a separate bowl, mix the eggs and cream together. Use a third bowl for the panko breadcrumbs.
- Dip the mussels into the flour to give them a light coating.
- Take the mussels and drag them through the egg then place into the panko breadcrumbs until fully coated.
- Deep fry or use a pan to shallow fry the mussels for around 4 min or until golden.
- Remove from oil and allow to rest on a paper towel for 1 min.
Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with lemon wedges and tartare sauce.