NZ Greenshell™ mussel & chorizo paella
- 1 kg fresh live mussels (scrubbed & de-bearded, just before cooking)
- 40ml olive oil
- 100g chorizo, diced
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Large pinch of saffron
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- ½ can crushed tomatoes
- 250g paella rice
- 750ml fish or chicken stock
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- 4 piquillo peppers (marinated roasted red peppers, sliced from jar)
- 4 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- Extra virgin olive to finish
- Lemon wedges to garnish
- Place a paella pan, or a large shallow frying pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil. When hot, add the chorizo and fry, stirring, until just coloured. Add the onion, garlic, paprika, saffron, oregano and chilli flakes. Gently fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, then cook for 5 more minutes or until lightly thickened and the onion and garlic are softened.
- Tip in the rice. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring until the rice is transparent.
- Pour in the fish/ chicken stock, the lemon zest and ½ tsp of salt. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat down to a low simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the mussels and piquillo peppers. Cover loosely with tinfoil, and then continue cooking for another 8 minutes without stirring, until the mussels steam open and the rice is tender, whilst still retaining a bite. Season with a little salt and pepper. Leave the paella to rest covered for 5 minutes.
- Take off the foil, then sprinkle over the chopped parsley. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and garnish with lemon wedges.
- Serve the paella straight from the pan at the table. Great served with a simple green leaf salad, and a side of aioli.