NZ Greenshell™ mussels in Thai green curry sauce
- 2.7 kg fresh live mussels (scrubbed & debearded, just before cooking)
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cm piece of ginger, peeled & grated
- 1 stick lemongrass, finely sliced
- 3-4 Tbsp. green curry paste
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 2 Tbsp. Thai fish sauce
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 100g snow peas, shredded
- 50g baby peas, defrosted
- ½ cup basil, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 lime, juice only
- Sea salt & fresh ground white pepper
- Extra shredded kaffir lime leaf, Thai basil & coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan or wok. Add the shallots, garlic, ginger and lemongrass and sauté gently without colouring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the curry paste and cook out for 1-2 minutes more until fragrant.
- Stir in the coconut cream, fish sauce, kaffir lime leaves and brown sugar and bring to the boil.
- Add the mussels and poach gently for about 5-6 minutes until all the mussel have opened. (Discard any mussels that don’t open.)
- Add the snow peas, peas, fresh herbs, chilli & lime juice.
- Season to taste with sea salt & fresh ground white pepper, then divide the mussel between 4 bowls. Pour over the curry sauce and then garnish with the extra kaffir lime leaves, Thai basil & coriander on top and serve with steamed jasmine rice on the side.