NZ Greenshell™ Mussels with macadamia, chive & citrus kelp crust
- One dozen fresh live mussels
- 250gms (9 oz) macadamia nuts (sliced & toasted)
- 10gms (4 oz) lemon kelp seasoning or substitute with a quality lemon pepper & wakame
- 1 orange zest from a single orange (fine)
- 6 Chives spears finely cut
- 150gms (5 oz) Butter (softened)
- Raw shuck the mussels using a blunt, flexible knife. Leave on the half shell
- Combine macadamia nuts, lemon kelp seasoning, orange zest and chives in a bowl & mix well, add butter & mix to combine.
- Loosen the mussel meat from the shell for ease of service.
- Top the mussel with the crust, evenly covering the mussel meat.
- Toast the crusted mussels under a hot grill (or bake in a hot oven) until the crust is toasted & the mussel is hot (1-2 minutes).
- Serve hot on a plate or platter (optional garnish – lemon wedges).