Steamed NZ Greenshell™ mussels with tomato, pesto & bacon sauce
- 2 dozen fresh live mussels (debearded and cleaned just before cooking)
- 150ml olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove – minced
- 1 onion – roughly chopped
- 3 ripe Roma tomatoes – chopped (or tinned Roma tomatoes)
- 250ml white wine
- 1 Tbsp basil pesto
- 3 rashers streaky bacon (rind removed)
- 150g crumbly feta
- 1 baguette (french stick)
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil – roughly chopped (saving a small amount for garnish)
- 1 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley – roughly chopped (saving a small amount for garnish)
- Flaky sea salt to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Portion the baguette & rub with the garlic & then brush with olive oil. Lightly toast & keep warm to serve with the mussels.
- In a heavy based sauce pan sauté roughly chopped bacon in the olive oil till crispy then sauté onions & garlic in the bacon oil till soft & transparent.
- Add ½ the wine & tomatoes, allowing sauce to come up to the boil, and then simmer for approx. 8-10min to reduce the sauce.
- To finish the sauce, season to taste & stir in pesto, remove the sauce from the pot & store in a suitable container.
- Wash & reuse the heavy based sauce pan, place on the heat with a lid till very hot, place the mussels into the pot with the remaining wine & return the lid allowing the mussels to stem open (discard any unopened mussels).
- Return the tomato sauce to the sauce pan with the mussels, allowing the sauce to come back up to boil, correct the seasoning & just before serving add the fresh herbs.
- Portion the mussels out into wide pasta bowls & then divide the sauce between all of the bowls, next crumble the feta over the mussels & garnish with the remaining herbs, finish with warm baguette & serve while hot.