Steamed NZ Greenshell™ mussels with white wine, celery, bacon and cream
- 2.7 kg fresh live mussels (scrubbed & debearded, just before cooking)
- 150g butter
- 150g bacon, very small dice
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stick, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 4 sprigs of thyme, chopped
- 400ml dry white wine
- 200ml cream
- 3 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- Salt & pepper
- Lemon wedges to garnish
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Once melted, add the bacon and cook gently for 5-6 minutes until lightly golden. Add the shallots, celery, garlic and thyme and cook for another 4 minutes until softened.
- Raise the heat to high, add the white wine and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mussels. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for about 4-6 minutes, shaking the pot regularly.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the opened mussels and place in a clean bowl and keep warm.
- Quickly reduce the cooking liquid by half, then add the cream. Bring to a boil and simmer until lightly thickened.
- Stir through the chopped parsley.
- Divide the mussels into four serving bowls and spoon over the cooking juices. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.